top of page

Residential Burn Information

Backyard  Burning

Backyard burning is permitted generally mid-October through mid-June.  You must have a burn regulations sheet on the premises when conducting a burn.  You must also call the Outdoor Burning Advisory Line at 541-726-3976 each day before burning. 


Burn Regulation permits are free and available on this site (download below under resources) as well as outside most stations in a flyer box.

Recreational Burning

Recreational, cooking and warming fires do not require a permit during BURN SEASON as long as these fires are on the property of the legal occupancy of that property or in designated recreational areas (such as parks, recreational campsites, and campgrounds) and the fire is in a designated fire ring.  A fire ring should not be larger than 36” across with additional clearing or space or green grass that has been mowed short.   Woody yard trimmings leaves and grass clippings should not be burned.

During Fire Season on ODF protected lands, please contact ODF Western Lane District each year to have your fire pit approved. If your fire pit has been approved, you must follow the Public Use Restrictions (linked below under resources).

Mowing Restrictions

During fire season (generally mid-June through mid-October), with exception of a Low Fire Danger Level, the times you are allowed to mow/cut dried, cured grass is restricted or prohibited. The culture and harvest of agricultural crops is exempt from this requirement.

Restrictions and times are dependent on the Fire Danger Level which will vary throughout fire season.


For mowing restrictions, click on the Public Use Restrictions (linked below under resources).


Burn Information

Fire season is generally mid-June through mid-October.  Burn season is generally mid-October through mid-June.  The decision on when Fire & Burn seasons start is made by local state and fire service officials. 

Current Regulations and Restrictions

LRAPA Burn Regulations
LRAPA Outdoor Burning Guide
ODF Fire Season Requirements

Backyard Burning Regulations

Lane Regional Air Protection Agency (LRAPA) and local fire agencies decide when Backyard Burning Season opens and closes. Regulations differ depending upon location, local city and county ordinances, and LRAPA rules. In addition, local fire districts may enforce further limitation on burn seasons.

Sunset Harvest

Commercial Agricultural Burning

Lane Fire Authority has authority over burning of vegetative material that does not fit either into the Backyard or Letter Burn Permit categories. A Commercial Agricultural burn is different than a standard outdoor burn because the volume of material is more than what could be burned in a single day's burning, i.e., large amount of windfall debris after a storm.


These fires are to be started on an approved burn day and are allowed to burn continually until the material is gone. Once the material is ignited additional material may not be added. Lane Fire Authority may inspect the piles to be burned to ensure that the piles do not contain any prohibited items or materials, and will advise the responsible party of any additional requirements, such as suppression equipment, or clearing.


Note: Commercial Agricultural Burns are for downed, dead material, not live standing grass or weeds. Safety Guidelines on this permit must be followed.


Note: Field burning is not allowed under our Agricultural Burn Permit even though it is an agricultural process. Field burning is managed through the Department of Agriculture under rules established by DEQ, for fields that are registered by the grass seed grower.


Definition: burning debris from a logging operation in which timber goes to the mill. ​​

Oregon Department of Forestry (ODF) issues permits for debris from a logging operation in which the timber goes to the mill.  This land is usually replanted. LRAPA issues permits for debris from a logging operation in which the timber goes to the mill for the purpose of land clearing to build a structure. 

bottom of page